School of Biomolecular Science and Engineering
Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology (VISTEC)
Address: 555 Moo 1 Payupnai, Wangchan, Rayong 21210 Thailand
Download CV (PDF format)
Ph. D. Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Research and Professional Experience:
B.Sc. (First Class Hons) Chemistry, Prince of Songkla University, Thailand
Associate Editor, ACS Catalysis
Visiting Professor, Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (iCeMS), Institute for Advanced Study, Kyoto University, Japan
Visiting Professor, Biomedical Research Institute, Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST),Tsukuba, Japan
Adjunct Professor, Dept of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Professor, School of Biomolecular Science and Engineering, Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology (VISTEC)
Professor, Dept of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Associate Prof, Dept of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Assistant Prof, Dept of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Lecturer, Dept of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Teaching assistant in Enzyme Kinetics for graduate students, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Contribution to Thai Policy in Biotechnology
Teaching assistant in Biochemistry Laboratory for undergraduate and graduate students, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Member of subcommittee for strategic plan for Bio-, Circular, and Green Economy Policy, Thai Government
Member of Subcommittee for Bio-Economy section, Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC)
Executive board member, National Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC), National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA)
Administration and Leadership Positions:
Member of Subcommittee for New Economy under the committees of Thailand’s National Reform Steering Assembly
Co-founder, BioSynThai Biotechnology Co.
Acting Director, Frontier Research Center, Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology (VISTEC)
Dean, School of Biomolecular Science and Engineering, Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology (VISTEC)
Co-founder, Enzmart Biotech Co.
Deputy Dean for Research, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Chair, Dept of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Awards and Distinctions:
Deputy Chair, Dept of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Appointed Associate Editor ACS Catalysis
Research Excellence Award for “Pyranose 2-oxidase as an efficient biocatalyst for sugar conversion” from the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT)
Honorable mention invention from NRCT “BioVis fermentation unit for high efficiency biogas and biofertilizer production” (2020)
Honorable mention invention from NRCT “Smart pesticide detection for food safety”
Outstanding Protein Scientist of Thailand
Distinguished Alumni Lectureship, Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
L’oreal-Unesco Woman in Science Crystal Award for the most accomplished woman scientist in Thailand (Life Science)
First Place in Final Pitch Session “Leaders in Innovation Fellowship” hosted by Royal Academy of Engineering and Newton Fund, UK
Innovation Award for “Protein Markers” from the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT)
Research Excellence Award for “Serine hydroxymethyltransferase as a malarial drug target” from the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT)
Received title TRF Senior Research Scholar and Research Team Building Grant from The Thailand Research Fund
Project Bacterial Luciferase as a Gene Reporter invited to participate in Tech Planter Final Grand Prix, Tokyo (A platform promoted by Leave a Nest Co., Japan, to help science professionals develop business skills)
BioTalk Plenary Award from Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering Society of Taiwan
Outstanding Alumni Award from Royal Thai Government Scholarship Alumni Association
Outstanding Scientist of Thailand 2015, Foundation for Promotion of Science and Technology under the Patronage of H. M. the King, Thailand
Speaker at TEDx Bangkok 2015
Chair of the Organizing Committee, IUBMB 18th International Symposium on Flavins and Flavoproteins
Received title TRF Senior Research Scholar and Research Team Building Grant from The Thailand Research Fund
Outstanding Researcher Award (Chemical Sciences and Pharmacy Section) from the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT)
Outstanding Alumni Award from Prince of Songkla University
TRF-CHE-Scopus Researcher Award
Taguchi Prize for Outstanding Research Achievement in Biotechnology
Exemplary Lecturer Award from Mahidol University Faculty Senate
Invited to World Economic Forum, Annual Meeting of the New Champions
Faculty of Science Outstanding Lecturer Award (First-Middle Level)
BMB Award from Section of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, The Science Society of Thailand under the Patronage of H.M. the King, Thailand
Affiliate Fellow of TWAS (Academy of Sciences for the Developing World)
Young Scientist Award, Foundation for the Promotion of Science and Technology under the Patronage of H. M. the King, Thailand
L'oreal-Unesco Fellowship for Woman in Science in Thailand
Murphy Award from Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (for outstanding publication series)
Chrisman Award from Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (for outstanding Ph.D. candidate)
Scholarship from Development and Promotion of Science and Technology Talent Project, Government of Thailand
Dr. Tap Nilaniti Outstanding Graduate Award
Publications and Patents
Distinguished Student Award from Princess Sirindhorn
>28 Patent applications filed. Two patents granted
>142 publications in leading peer-reviewed international journals;
Recognitions from International Communities
h-index = 37 (Google Scholar)
Total citations = 3984 (Google Scholar)
(Details at https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=5CrtozgAAAAJ&hl=en)
>48 Invited lectures at international symposiums and institute overseas (Including three talks at Gordon Research Conferences)
>16 Invited talks at overseas universities
2 Talks at international leading companies (BASF (Germany) and Amano (Japan)
ACS Catalysis (2021-present)
eLife (2019-present), The Journal of Biological Chemistry (2012-present), Archives Biochemistry and Biophysics (2012-present)
Nature Chemical Biology; Nature Communication; JACS; ACS Catalysis; Chemical Science; eLife; The Journal of Biological Chemistry (JBC); Energy Conversion and Management; Acta Crystallographica Section F; Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis; Applied Catalysis A; Applied Environmental Microbiology; Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology; Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics; Biochemistry; Biochimie; Biochimica Biophysica Acta; Biofuel Bioproduct Biorefinery, Bioresource Technology; Biotechnology Advances; Biotechnology Advances; Biotechnology & Bioengineering; Biotechnology Journal; Briefing in Bioinformatics; Chemistry & Biology; ChemCatChem; FEBS Journal; FEMS Microbiology Letter; Nature Chemical Biology, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry; Journal of Chemical Education; Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic; Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS); Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B; Microbial Cell Factory; PNAS; Trends in Biochemical Science; Catalytic Science and Technology
International Grant reviewer:
National Science Foundation (NSF) - Chemistry of Life Processes USA; Austrian Science Fund, Austria; Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft German Research Foundation
Chair of Organization Committee:
IUBMB, 18th International Symposium on Flavins and Flavoproteins 2014
Contributions to Life Science Innovations
>28 patents filed (two patents granted)
Contributions to Science Applications in Community Development
- Cofounder of a Biotech Startup, EnzMart Biotech (www.enzmart.com). The company produces and sells laboratory reagents at competitive prices to local Thai researchers.
- Cofounder of a Biotech Startup, BioSynThai Biotechnology. The company develops and operates frontier biotechnologies and process engineering to support circular economy.
Developed Synthetic Biology technology to turn food waste into valuable bioenergy and biochemicals. This technology has been rolled out on a pilot in “Zero Waste” concept to a community in Nan (province in the Northern part of Thailand). The goal is to scale and expand this technology for implementing a countrywide comprehensive and sustainable waste management program.
Service to Scientific Organizations:
Grant reviewer: Thailand Science Research and Innovation; National Research Council of Thailand,The Thailand Research Fund (TRF), National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), National Research Council of Thailand, Commission on Higher Education (CHE), Ministry of Education, Mahidol University
Committee member: Development and Promotion for Science & Technology Talent Project (DPST), National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA)
Executive board member: BIOTEC (National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, NSTDA (National Science and Technology Development Agency)
Invited Lectures at International Symposiums:
Lectures at Academic Institutes Overseas:
- "How the reductase and oxygenase work together in a two-component flavoenzyme, p-hydroxyphenylacetate". 16th International Symposium on Flavins and Flavoproteins, Jaca, Spain, June 2008.
- Gordon Research Conference 2010: Enzymes, Co-enzymes & Metabolic Pathways "What is necessary for C4a-hydroperoxy-FAD formation in pyranose 2-oxidase reaction?", Waterville Valley Resort, New Hampshire, USA, July, 2010.
- “Oxygenation mechanism of p-hydroxyphenylacetate hydroxylase, a two-component flavin-dependent monooxygenase”. The 3rd Asia Pacific Protein Association (APPA) Conference, Shanghai, China, May 2011.
- “Use of Kinetic Isotope Effects and Transient Kinetics to Unravel the Mechanism of H2O2 Elimination from C4a-Hydroperoxy-flavin in Pyranose2-Oxidase”. The IXth European Symposium of The Protein Society. Stockholm, Sweden, May 2011.
- “Understanding reaction mechanisms of two-component flavin-dependent mono-oxygenases through a model of p-Hydroxyphenylacetate hydroxylase”. 17th International Conference on Cytochrome P450, at University of Manchester, UK, June 2011.
- Gordon Research Conference 2012: "Biocatalysis by Flavoenzymes: From Enzyme Mechanisms to Rational Engineering”, Bryant University, Smithfield, RI, USA, July 2012.
- "Control and Versatility in Catalysis by Flavin-dependent Enzymes" Enzyme Engineering XXII: Emerging Topics in Enzyme Engineering, Toyama International Conference Center, Toyama, Japan, September 2013.
- "Mechanisms of Oxygen Activation by Flavin-Dependent Enzymes" at 15th IUBMB - 24th FAOBMB-TSBMB International Conference, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, Oct 2014.
- (Plenary Lecture) "Mechanism and Biocatalysis of Flavin-Dependent Oxygenases" at 9th Joint Conference on Chemistry Program Semarang, Indonesia, Nov 2014.
- Gordon Research Conference 2015: Enzymes, Co-enzymes & Metabolic Pathways "Oxygenation and Beyond by Two-component Flavin-dependent monooxygenases" at Waterville Valley Resort, New Hampshire, USA, July 2015.
- “Biotransformation of Aromatic Compounds by Flavin-Dependent Monooxygenases” at the 12th Biotrans, Vienna, Austria, July 2015.
- “From Mechanisms to Application of Two-component Flavin-Dependent Mono-oxygenases” at Regional meeting of Japan Society for Bioscience, Biotechnology and Agrochemistry, Toyama Prefectural University, Toyama, Japan, Sept 2015.
- "Two-component Flavin-Dependent Monooxygenases: Challenge and Opportunity" at BallouFest Symposium 2015 in honour of Professor Dr. David P. Ballou, Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, Oct 2015.
- "Bacterial Luciferase as a Eukaryotic Reporter System" at 19th International Symposium on Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence, Tsukuba, Japan, May 2016.
- (Plenary Lecture) "Oxygenation and Beyond by Two-Component Flavin-Dependent Monooxygenases" 21th BEST Conference, National Central University, Taoyuan, Taiwan, June 2016.
- "From Mechanistic Understanding to Applications of Two-Component Flavin-Dependent Monooxygenases" at 8th European Meeting on OxiZymes, The Netherlands, July 2016.
- (Plenary Lecture) " Flavin-Dependent Monooxygenases:One Intermediate for Many Reactions " The Fifth International Conference on Cofactors (ICC-05) and Active Enzyme Molecule 2016 (AEM 2016)” Unazuki, Toyama, Japan, Sept 2016.
- (Plenary Lecture) "Insights into Mechanisms of Flavin-Dependent Monooxygenases and Beyond " 19th International Symposium on Flavins and Flavoproteins, Groningen, The Netherlands, July 2-6, 2017
- "Beyond Monooxygenation by Flavin-Dependent Enzymes " 20th International Conference on Cytochrome P450: Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology, Düsseldorf, August 27-31, 2017
- "From Fundamental to Novel Detection Technology of Flavin-Dependent Monooxygenases" 2018 Protein Science Society of Japan Annual Meeting, 26-28 June 2018, Niigata, Japan.
- “Novel Enzymatic and Cascade Reactions for Biocatalysis and Biodetection” at EMBO workshop: Enzymes, biocatalysis and chemical biology: The new frontiers, 09 – 12 September 2018 Pavia, Italy. University of Pavia, Italy 9-12 September 2018
- “Flavin-dependent dehalogease and halogenase”at 25 Year Biochemistry Workshop at Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany, 28 September 2018
- “Versatile Reactions of Two-Component Flavin-Dependent Monooxygenases” at Symposium in honor of Prof. Willem van Berkel “45 Years of Yellow Fever” Department of Biochemistry, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 2 November 2018
- "Novel Enzymatic Cascades for Biodetection, Biocatalysis and Biofuel" at Southeast Asia Catalysis Conference (SACC), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 23-24 May, 2019
- “Enzymatic Cascades for Biocatalysis, Biodetection and Biofuel” at Biotrans 2019, Groningen, The Netherlands. July 7-11, 2019.
- Invited lecture at 27th FAOBMB & 44th MSBMB Conference and IUBMB Special Symposia, Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 19-22 August 2019.
- Invited lecture at International Symposium on the Genetics of Industrial Microorganisms (GIM 2019), Pisa, Italy, 8-11 September 2019.
- Invited lecture at An Annual Symposium of Japan Association for Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence (JABC). Tsukuba, Japan. 5 October 2019.
- Invited lecture at Multistep Enzyme Catalyzed Processes Conference (MECP2020), Aachen, Germany. 30 March – 2 April, 2020.
- Invited lecture at the World Conference on Protein Science, Sapporo, Japan. 7-10 July, 2020.
- Invited lecture at Multistep Enzyme Catalyzed Processes Conference (MECP2020+1), Aachen, Germany. September 13-16, 2021.
- Invited lecture at AFOB 2021 Virtual Conference, November 1-4, 2021.
- Invited lecture at Pacifichem 2021, Hawaii (online conference), December 16-21, 2021.
- Invited lecture at 21st International Symposium on Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence & XIX International Symposium on Luminescence Spectrometry, Gijon, Spain, May 31 – June 3, 2022
- Keynote lecture at the 17th Conference of the Asian Crystallographic Association (AsCA), October 30 – November 2, 2022
Lectures at Companies Overseas:
- University of Pavia, Italy. June 12, 2006.
- Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA. July 2010,
- BioMedical Research Institute, AIST, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan. September 2013
- Institute of Biochemistry, University of Greifswald, Greifswald, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. May 2014.
- The Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Terrestrial Microbiology, Marburg, Germany. May 2014
- BioMedical Research Institute, AIST, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan. Sep 2015
- University of Bristol, Department of Chemistry, UK, March 2017
- University of Manchester, Manchester Institute of Biotechnology, UK, March 2017
- Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB), Cambridge, UK, March 2017
- Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (iCeMS), 29 June 2018, Kyoto, Japan
- Department of Experimental Biology & RECETOX, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic, 1 November 2018
- Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA 23 April 2019.
- Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA 25 April 2019.
- Institute of Biomedical Science, AIST Tsukuba, Japan 7 October 2019.
- Technical University of Graz, Graz, Austria, 8 June 2022.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 19 Ausgust 2022.
- BASF-The Chemical Company, Ludwigshafen, Germany. May 2014
- R&D Headquarter, Amano Enzyme, Gifu, Japan. September 2016